1. It’s likely you’re going to get a lot of callers, mainly after dark; remember to use your door chain every time you answer the door to reduce the likelihood of bogus callers conning you.
2. Before answering your front door make sure your back door and all windows are shut and locked to eliminate the risk of distraction burglary
3. Equip your doorstep with reliable security lighting so that you can clearly see who is calling; if you’re not sure, don’t open the door!
4. Don’t keep any valuables in sight or within reach of your door, even with a door chain on; some callers may try a ‘Grab and Go’ theft while you are occupied.
5. Consider setting a time that you stop answering the door to callers, particularly if you live alone. Most genuine trick or treaters will be children who won’t be out late into the evening; this is the time when bogus callers may try their luck.