Are you getting ready to head off on your holidays this month?
If you’ll be leaving your property unattended then make sure it’s left in the most secure condition possible. Our Holiday Security Top 10 Tips should help:
1. Ensure all valuable items are left out of plain sight. Put things like laptops, games consoles and jewelry boxes inside cupboards or drawers.
2. Mark all property with your details using a UV marker pen. This invisible ink shows up under UV light and helps Police identify and recover stolen items.
3. Remember to test and set your home alarm system before you leave. As well as attracting attention when activated, highly visible alarm systems will deter thieves from targeting your property in the first place.
4. Check, double-check and triple-check all doors and windows are closed and locked. The same applies to your shed, garage and any outbuildings you have.
5. Set timers to switch on lights and other appliances to make it appear someone is home whilst you’re away. Remember, an obvious empty house is an obvious target for burglars!
6. Make sure any garden tools and equipment, including ladders, are stored and locked away in a shed or garage. Don’t leave easy pickings lying around!
7. Motion sensor security lighting is ideal for discouraging thieves and trespassers from entering your property. As well as deterring entry, the bright lights will attract attention and discourage burglars.
8. Consider installing CCTV at your property for maximum protection. Certain remote systems now allow you to check the camera feed from your smartphone, wherever you are in the world.
9. Ensure you cancel and milk or newspaper subscriptions you have for the duration of your time away, a build up of bottles or papers will make it obvious your home is empty. Also consider asking a trusted neighbour to tidy away your post.
10. Finally, avoid putting your travelling plans on social media! Information on when you’re leaving and how long you’re gone for can easily find its way into the wrong hands… Wait till you’re back, then share all you like!
For more safety tips and essential holiday security products, visit our website at www.redlinesecurity.co.uk or call 01352 736125.